Export Radiation Patterns to MSI Planet
AN-SOF allows us to export radiation patterns to a *.msi file which can then be imported into the Planet propagation simulation tool developed by MSI. The antenna pattern files in MSI format are described in this link >.
1. The far-field of an antenna model must be computed previously using the Full 3D option in the Far-Field panel > of the Setup tabsheet. Don’t worry about the Theta and Phi steps (increments), since the radiation pattern will be exported as expected by Planet, at 1-degree increments, by applying interpolation.
2. After computing the far-field, go to the AN-SOF main menu > Results > Plot Far-Field Pattern > Polar Plot 2 Slices or click on the Polar Plot 2 Slices button on the main toolbar.
3. Choose a horizontal slice (Fixed Theta) for Slice 1 and a vertical slice (Fixed Phi) for Slice 2 in the displayed window. The most used horizontal pattern is theta = 90 deg (xy-plane), while the vertical pattern depends on the main beam orientation:
- For a main beam pointing towards the x-axis, choose Fixed Phi = 0 as Slice 2.
- For a main beam pointing towards the y-axis, choose Fixed Phi = 90 deg as Slice 2.
4. The radiation patterns for the horizontal and vertical slices will be plotted in AN-Polar. In the AN-Polar window, go to File > Export.
5. The Export File window will be displayed where a folder can be chosen to save the exported file. Write a file name and select MSI Planet Files (*.msi) in the “Save as type” field.